Why Am I Writing This Blog?

There's nothing more important to me than my connections with family and friends.

So in an effort to stay connected I'll be posting updates about my treatment and health here.
Of course I want to connect with you outside of this blog! But this is a quick way you can find out what's happening.

Also a request: I would appreciate it if you didn't post anything on Facebook about cancer and me.

Writing has always been a natural form of self-expression for me. So this blog is also a personal outlet, one I'd like to share with you.

February 14, 2012

Xanax, My New Best Friend

Had the breast MRI today. If you don't want to hear about it, I advise you to skip this post!

It wasn't bad at all. I got some Xanax beforehand because I said I got a little claustrophic. The anxiety I was feeling about the test, about the surgeon consults later this week and about this whole bad experience in general just kind of receded. Nice.

Of course, driving home was not a possibility. So my mom was there to be my chauffeur.

The machine was kind of like a massage table with strategically placed openings for breasts. I was in a lovely gown and surgical scrub pants, face down in a Superman position with my face in one of those massage table face mask things. Bizarre.

I got earplugs, was scooted into the machine, and lay there for 20 minutes or so. I really had no idea I was in a tube.

The loud sounds were all different. Some sounded like a bad rock band doing a sound check. Some were like the test sound of the emergency broadcast system on the radio. It was all fine.

During the last 10 minutes of the test they injected a dye into an IV that was in my arm. No biggie.

I was told that because the test is so sensitive that having another biopsy to check something out can be common. There is a high rate of it turning out to be nothing. Oh joy, possibly another biopsy.

But this time I will bring along the Xanax. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment